Rochester City Council purchased the land at Rochester Airfield from a farmer, as the site for a municipal airport. One month later Short brothers, who had started building aircraft in 1909 on the Isle of Sheppey, asked for permission to lease the land for test flying and thus began the relationship between the local authority and the aviation industry.
Recently Rochester Airport Ltd who took on the lease from Medway Council have struggled with the slow degradation of pre-war infrastructure but remain profitable. Renegotiation of the initial lease was painful and expensive; 3300 objections were sent to the council opposing the airports closure, unusually for an airport, many from the loyal local populace. We now have our third, 5 year lease and with the Medway Core Strategy supporting a modernised airport with sympathetic employment development around it, enter a critical phase of negotiation with Medway Council enabling aviation to continue at Rochester for a further 80 years.
The airfield is run by Airport Kelvin Carr, who has made improvements to the area since his appointment. The café is popular with a good range of food, with at least one special on each day. The two grass runways are 20/02 and 34/16. PPR by phone please. Radio 122.250 There is also an Old Petrol Pump Museum on site including models form the 1940 -1980.
Tel: 01634 869 969